Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mei Zhen Hakka Delicacies

Mei Zhen Hakka Delicacies

 I've been craving their yam porridge for 3 weeks now and each time I go to Shunfu market. I find this stall closed ! I discovered that they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays which are the days I have been finding my cravings the strongest.

I usually come here on weekends for breakfast. They seem to make more of everything on the weekends knowing that there will be a bigger crowd. Today (Wednesday) the porridge was already sold out at 1030am.

I decided on the Soon Kueh and Yam Cake (Orh Kueh). Was quite pricey actually because 1 Soon Kueh costs $1.10. But definitely worth it because I love the chewy sticky texture of the skin and the delicious filling. I found out that they use the Suan Pan Zi (Abacus) dough and roll it very thin to make the skin, thats why it is quite different from other Soon Kueys.

The yam cake here is also very reliable as it is a significant grey color which I assume that they have put a considerable amount of yam to give it the color and authentic taste. You can feel the sticky texture and yam flavor.

They are well known for the Suan Pan Zi (Abacus) as these are a very traditional Hakka food and is not often found in hawker centres or even restaurants. They taste sticky and doughy like Italian gnocchi pasta. Though it is also sticky and chewy, I'm not a fan of it.



Hakka Food Upper Thomson Road

Main Outlet : 320 Shunfu Road #02-26
Shunfu Mart Food Centre
Wednesday- Sunday 730am - 1pm
Closed on Monday and Tuesday
Contact Suzanna 97990397

Branch: Blk 529 Hougang Ave 6 #01-245
Coffeeshop
Closed on Monday
Contact Stella 86919964


No comments: